Automatic Steering for RTG cranes
V-TRAX is a passive automated steering system and is a cost-effective solution to automatically steer an RTG crane along a container stack runway.
- Automatically and accurately steers the RTG along a virtual track along the runway, preventing equipment and container collisions and subsequent damage.
- Improves terminal safety and operator productivity, reducing fatigue and equipment maintenance.
- Uses high precision differentially corrected GPS to locate the RTG and provide both the current position and heading.
A major contributor to RTG terminal safety
Ease of operation
With years of RTG automatic steering experience we have developed simple to use interfaces making V-TRAX easy to use. Clear signalling and audible warnings are provided to inform and advise. At all times the operator knows what the system is doing and who is steering, V-TRAX or the operator.
V-TRAX uses a twin antenna calculation allowing the system to determine the heading even before the RTG starts to move. This provides a superior heading resolution allowing earlier steering corrections than most other systems and providing a smooth accurate motion for the equipment and operator alike.
single GPS antenna method
- Unable to determine heading upon start-up.
- Poor resolution of angle can cause over corrections and unstable motion.
- No redundancy or system cross checking.
twin GPS antenna method
- Better than single antenna
- Narrow base line limits the measured resolution
- Placing antennas on one side causes a lag in measuring the result of steering actions
- The optimum control loop
- Provides maximum measured resolution
- Measures the results directly from each side without lag as it slows down and speeds up to steer
- Able to make accurate steering decisions at all times
An avoidable expense
This manually steered RTG has collided with the stacking area.
Just a few of the impacts...
- RTG repair downtime
- RTG repair cost
- Operational impact
- Insurance claims
- Recovery time
This situation is avoidable.